School Homework Policy
Homework is given as an extension of an activity started in the classroom that is continued out-of-class or at home. It enriches the school experience and promotes a permanent interest in learning.
Consideration is given to the value and purpose of homework in meeting the realistic expectations of students, teachers and parents. The quantity and frequency of assigned homework is generally based on student needs and the content of the instructional programme of the school.
Homework constitutes a valuable part of schooling that establishes habits of study, concentration and self-discipline. Homework also helps students to think independently and to be self-directed learners – traits that equip students to meet the challenges of the 21st Century.
In addition, homework has the potential to affirm the partnership in learning between parents and teachers. The importance of family-life of student is recognized in the amount and type of homework that is set.
Objectives of Homework
- To provide reinforcement of what is learnt in class;
- To prepare students for assessments;
- To prepare students for class participation;
- To develop responsible work and study habits; and
- To develop students to be independent and self-directed learners.
All IP Departments in Ping Yi Secondary School adopt the respective departmental Multi-Modal Assessment Framework as a basis for homework. Homework is given taking into account the following :
- It reinforces and extends learning content;
- It develops core learning skills;
- It is challenging and purposeful;
- It is set on a regular basis and establishes a routine of home study;
- It takes into account the students’ home responsibilities and CCAs;
- It is used by teachers to give feedback on student progress.