Vision: Confident and competent users of the English Language
Mission: To inculcate in our learners a passion for English Language
- EL Speech and Drama Programme
- Media Literacy Programme
- Silent Reading Programme
- Oral Skills Workshop
- Enhancing Salient Characterisation Through Drama
- Unravelling the mysteries of the written word (Module 1 & 2)
English Language Speech and Drama Programme
The English Language department has embarked on English Speech and Drama Programme for the Secondary 1 pupils. This programme promises to be fun and interactive, enabling pupils to develop further appreciation for English Language and Literature.
- To instill in the pupils confidence in presentation skills
- To heighten the appreciation of the literary text -“The Witches”
At the end of the programme, pupils will put up a short skit which will be computed as part of his/her CA marks.
Media Literacy Programme
Secondary 3 pupils will create television commercial using Windows Movie Maker software. They will be exposed to different roles and responsibilities of the media team as well as the stages involved in media production. Scriptwriting and storyboarding will be taught to pupils during the process of media creation. They will have the opportunity to apply the varied media production techniques to create their very own television commercial.
- To equip our pupils with the necessary media literacy skills to prepare them for a future where social and work literacy and competencies are increasingly being re-configured in web-based and media-centric environment.
Silent Reading Programme
- Instill in pupils the reading habit to enhance their command of English Language
- To keep them abreast with interdisciplinary knowledge and current affairs
- 20 minutes daily on Monday and Tuesday from 7.35 to 7.55 am.
- Venue – parade ground/hall
Reading materials are provided to cater to different needs of students:
- VITA, Fastzone and Knowledge for lower Sec NT & NA
- Junior scholastic for lower secondary NA classes
- Just English. Read for NT classes
- National Geographic, Newsweek, Discovery Channel for Upper secondary classes
- Straits Times for Exp & NA classes
- New Paper for NT classes
- Reader’s Digest for E & NA classes
- MacMillan readers for lower secondary Exp & NA classes
- Sails readers for Sec 1 NT classes
- Collins readers for Secondary three Exp, NA & NT classes
Oral Skills Workshop
The Sec 4 Express, 5 Normal and 4 Normal pupils will attend the Oral Skills Workshop to hone their communication and Oral skills to prepare them for their impending Oral Examinations. The course aims to provide effective communication skills through provision of adequate scaffolding. Role play and dialogues will also be carried out to cater to the different learning style of learners.
Objective: To hone pupils’ communication and oral skills
Enhancing Salient Characterisation Through Drama
To enhance learner’s descriptive skills, the Secondary 3 Express pupils will attend the Characterisation through Drama workshop.
- Use analysis and deconstruction approaches to ‘unpack’ and elaborate on simple descriptive paragraphs
- Apply the five senses to create vivid and well elaborated descriptions based on given paragraph goals
- Use of dramatization techniques such as freeze frames and role play to gain character empathy and accuracy in descriptive words used
Unraveling the mysteries of the written word
To prepare for the GCE “O” Level English examinations, pupils will attend a highly interactive 2- Module English Course. This course is designed to take the students’ literacy skills to an advanced level.
- delve beneath the surface meaning, and move beyond the literal level of reading
- appreciate the beauty of the written word through the understanding of the effects of nuances of meaning in written communication
- increase their ability to understand more creative uses of language, e.g., the use of irony
- have a clearer understanding of the role of grammar in conveying meaning
- decipher authors’ messages conveyed through the use of word association and connotation
- see the importance of precision in conveying meaning