Mother Tongue Languages
If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart. - Nelson Mandela
The Department focuses its efforts on developing a love for the language.
- MTL Fortnight for all students
During MTL fortnight, a wide range of activities related to language and culture are conducted. These activities allow students to use their MTL actively, experience and appreciate their respective culture as well as further enhance their knowledge and also passion towards the learning of MTL.
√ experiential learning camps
√ learning journeys
√ language games
√ learning journeys
√ language games
- For Tamil Students
√ Tamil Language and Cultural Camp @ Cluster level
√ Special Study Skill Workshop conducted by SINDA
Students are exposed to a variety of competitions to hone their language skills
- 13th National On-the-Spot Chinese Story Writing Competition
This competition was organised by Anglican High School in partnership with Lian He Wan Bao of Singapore Press Holdings Limited and Lingzi Media Pte Ltd on 3 Mar 2017.
Pei Ni (Class 101) was awarded The Excellence Award.
- Malay Scrabble Competition
This competition was organised by Bishan Park Secondary School, a collaborative effort with Malay Language Learning and Promotion Committee on 25 Mar 2017.
Muhammad Hafiz (Class 403), Siti Norin (Class 411), Mardhiah and Nur Arizzan (Class 512) clinched Top 4 for East Zone category during the preliminary rounds and moved on to the Finals on 20 May 2017.
- Pintar Kata App Competition
This competition was organised by St Patrick’s Secondary School Malay Department on 20 Jul 2018. Our Sec 1 Normal (Technical) emerged as the champion under the Normal (Technical) Category. Team members are Ratna , Putra and Nur Suziana (Class 121).
- Tamil Language Unit from MOE (CPDD) organised ‘Naanum oru Padaippaali’ In Tamil Language - A Buddy Writers’ & Artistes’ Programme For Students In Secondary Schools 2017. A total of five students from Upper Secondary Express, Normal (Academic) and Normal (Technical) participated in these competitions. Our students went to the second round in both Buddy Writing and Artistes’ Programme competitions and achieved the Silver Award in both the competitions.
- Students from all levels also participated in Tamil Language essay-writing, singing, oratorical, touch-typing competitions organized at Cluster level by E2 and E7 cluster schools. Our students clinched the top three prizes in all the competitions.
‘O’ and ‘N’ Level Examination Preparation
The Department has been focusing on specialised teaching with customised syllabus for graduating students:
- MTL Intensive Revision in May and from end of August till September
- Structured Consultation Time to supplement classroom teaching in May and from end of August till September.
|Name/ Designation||Email address|
|Azizah Bte Abdul Rahim (HOD MTL)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Hooi Siok Li (SH CL)||email@example.com|
|Awalludin Bin Abdul Jabbarfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Fazillah Binte Mohamed Ismailemail@example.com|
|Mohamad Ghazali Bin Ibrahimfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tengku Nurhudah Bte Tengku Mohamed Khalibemail@example.com|
|Chuah Su Keowfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Khor Sze Siangemail@example.com|
|Chi King Kiokfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Rehena Sherin d/o Abdul Azizemail@example.com|
|Suriya d/o Manickavasagamfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ng Ah Mua|